Thursday, November 13, 2014

Half Dome

Last Tuesday I got a crazy idea to bust out a trek up half dome in Yosemite. I had an afternoon flight so to pull it off I had to get up at the crack and run most of the way. Lots of vertical climb! Brutal run but unbelievable!  I had to catch a flight so hurrying was necessary. But in my hurry I took a wrong turn or two along the way and turned what was supposed to be a 16.5 mile excursion into so much more. The detour happened to also tack on another long vertical climb just to get back to a trail that would get me back to the car. By the end of the run the sun was hidden from the heart of the canyon and the temps were dropping. People were in coats and beanies and I was roasting, shirtless and soaked in sweat. Heck of a test!  Fortunately I made it back to the airport just in time for my flight!

No comments: