Thursday, December 10, 2009

Magic of Christmas

K ADORES Christmas this year--and I'm not just talking about the whole Santa/toy part. He was positively giddy about decorating this year. He was very involved w/ decorating the tree and putting up all of the lights. Every morning, one of the first things he does is come downstairs and plug in the lights. Every night when it gets dark, he plugs the lights outside. Both boys love helping w/ the advent calendar.
I love Christmas traditions. A fellow blogger/friend wrote an entry that resonates with me. Every season as we open the Christmas boxes up to decorate, memories dance in my head. One of our traditions is to listen to the Forgotten Carols as we decorate. It brings me to my teenage years of doing the same thing. It takes me back to when Jas and I went to the Forgotten Carols while we were dating, the next year engaged and like 5 years in a row (until we moved here.) The music touches my soul.
While decorating, the ornaments sing out other memories. I don't have one of those gorgeously decorated themed tree. We have the memory tree because each decoration evokes sweet memories.
*the bitten ballerina--a decoration I made as a little girl and that my childhood dog, Toffy, got a hold of
*the candy cane horse--my Grandma Evie made this and every year we put in a new candy cane. It means a lot because she passed away when I was a little girl.
*K and little J's first Christmas ornaments--how Christmas means that much more when you get to share it with your children.
*Our honeymoon knitted beanie--J and I got this on our honeymoon in Jackson Hole.
*a few teacher ornaments--from my students when I taught 3rd grade.
*Our Wright Family ornament--so beautiful (thanks Cherilyn! K broke it and she made another one for us. It now is on the top of the tree!)
*My favorite ornament ever--J gave this to me on our first Christmas married. It's a heart shaped ornament w/ a lock and key and a pic of us on our wedding day. It says "true love is our love." I cried when he gave it to me.
I love the smells, the sounds and the sights of Christmas. I look forward to adding to our memory tree.

4 comments:

The Smith Family said...

I love this post. I love hearing that you have an ornament from Grandma. I too love that each ornament we put up has special meaning. Our tree may not be fabulously decorated, like it belongs in a store or something, but I think it's all the little memories that make Christmas what it is.

Melynie said...

What a beautiful post. So warm and fuzzy. We're thinking of you guys and we miss you.

Amy said...

I know how you feel about the ornaments. I'm very attached to my own. And speaking of that-- we missed you at the ornament exchange. Sorry you couldn't make it!

Happy Mom said...

This one made me happy!!!! It's JUST how I feel!!!

You should take some pictures of those ornaments, I wanna see them!!!