Thursday, December 27, 2012

Memories of our wedding day



Seriously, is there a more beautiful girl?!!
We have been married now for 11 years! … 11 years! Where did all that time go? At least I can say for sure that the time has been an amazing adventure! It’s been packed with really great and happy times mixed with some big trials. I thought I’d try to reminisce a bit on our wedding day. Our story has been skipping around a bit but not much has been written yet about this day so I’ll step up and tackle it. I’ll start by writing some memories from my journal.

Jan 23, 2002 – Tons of new news – Jenn and I are married! I guess that will explain why I haven’t written for a month, but I guess I should have. The wedding was perfect! We were sealed on Dec 28th in the Salt Lake Temple by Earl C. Tingey. The day of the wedding I drove down to Jenn’s and we went to the temple together. (If I remember right, I got down to Jenn’s house pretty early. She must have woken up at an insane hour to get ready!) We met up with our parents in the front lobby of the temple and Jenn and I were taken into an office to take care of all the paperwork. The thing I remember most about that meeting was Jenn putting a ton of lotion in my hand. I told her my face was dry but I wasn’t exactly expecting lotion right that second!

Jenn and I were lead up to the celestial room to hang out till I brought her through the veil. My hands were sweating so bad! (temple hand) It was nice of Jenn to keep holding it. She could tell I was nervous but she didn’t even look phased.

Earl C Tingey sealed us. He spoke of how important it is that our families are linked through sealing all the way back to Adam. I don’t remember too much. I do remember how I felt so good inside. I was so happy to be kneeling there with Jenn. We are perfect for each other.

I can remember Elder Tingey taking a moment to talk with us in the Celestial room. Don’t remember a word he said. I just remember thinking that he looked really tall. Later Terri asked us if we remember the promise that was made to us during the sealing. I know I didn’t. She said that we received a promise that our children would remain true and faithful.

Today, I can think back and remember still how beautiful Jenn looked! I can also remember how happy that day was. It was freezing and everyone’s noses were red. And Jenn’s nose was cold! I know because we kissed at least 100 times! We had big smiles on our faces. Just watching our wedding video, I’m amazed at how much we were laughing. I like to see those pictures. My Grandma Leah was there. Grandma and Grandpa Richards were there too. The nieces and nephews were so small. There’s a pic of Tayah and Josh walking behind Jenn holding her dress. I think they were about 3 at the time. We look younger in those pics. After we took a few thousand pics and some video around the Temple, Jenn and I cruised over to her parents place for some lunch and a break before the reception. That was a good time.

That night was another packed event with our reception at the old rock church in Farmington. There were so many people that came! All those amazing friends and family members were really generous with their gifts, giving us a much easier head start in our marriage. Except for the nice gift we got in our car -- that gift being Fruit Loops and Rice Krispies in the air vents and all over the car. Roger, Jer and Marty did some serious work on the car. For a long time after that, the Honda would occasionally spit out cereal dust!

One of those gifts was our hotel stay at the Armstrong Mansion. That’s where we spent that first night. And Jenn’s Grandpa paid for our hotel up in Jackson Hole the next few nights. That was a really really cold place to go for a honey moon. So much more to write about that.

Here’s another memory from my journal:

1/26/02 – The night before the wedding was so perfect! The day before with all of the decorating was crazy, but that night was sweet! We all went to Little America for a dinner with close friends and family. My highlight was the very first of the dinner – Jenn sang to me! In front of 60 people! I know how sincere that act was. She sang, “Fools rush in” and I don’t know of any other gift that has meant more to me.

My memories I can add to that event today are that the night started out really hectic! I was sweating it a bit because 20 minutes into the dinner Jenn wasn’t there! Oh ya, I was super sweating it! I later learned that 20 minutes late to your own wedding dinner is just “Tingey time.” Also, I am sure Jenn would add that she was sweating it too! Brooke was set to play the piano for her song but pulled out that night so she was scrambling to work that out. She reached out to see if Jenni Cook would fill in. But back to me, I was really glad to see Jenn arrive!

11 years later and I am even more excited to see her! Every time I fly somewhere I park in the most crazy expensive parking so I can get home 20 minutes earlier. I am a blessed guy.

Happy anniversary Jenn! I love you!









No comments: