Sunday, December 14, 2014

Message from Grandpa Tingey

November 9, 2014

 

Dear Family,

 

It’s Sunday here in Zion and I’ve just been sitting here watching a beautiful sunset and hoping that you are having the same kind of weather. I am happy that Halloween is behind us. I wasn’t feeling too well, but I endured, sat up and fed the trick or treaters as long as I could. They brighten my spirit also, but I am glad it’s over.

 

I am looking forward to one of my favorite holidays and that is Thanksgiving. I sure have a lot to be thankful for. I am thankful for your faith and prayers and am blessed to survive the ordeal in the hospital. I never knew it was so tough in that ICU, but I’ve been home for over a week and feeling better. I even go to work for a few hours a day, so I am grateful for my health and also for my eye operation that was successful.

 

Just on Friday I was up to the Moran Eye Center in Salt Lake to have the stitches removed. The doctor said it is looking good. I can see out of it pretty well and he says it will get better. I have to be back up there Monday morning at quarter to 8 to meet with the other doctor that does retina work. It is amazing what they can do.

 

Thanksgiving is a day that I will be thankful for all the blessings that I’ve enjoyed, especially the speedy recovery I’ve had and for the kindness of all of you. I was reading in the paper a few interesting things about Thanksgiving and will try and use some of it here with Shannan’s family. I would like to suggest them for you if you are interested.

 

·         Encourage the children each day at perhaps dinner time to say something that they are thankful for that day. It would even be fun to record them.

 

President Monson, in one of his talks, told about a minister who, each dinner hour, asked each child something they have done to help another or make a person happier. The great effect it had upon the children to be more conscious of other people. To ask each family member about a daily act of service they could do to help someone to make them happy would be a nice dinner conversation.

 

The word Thanks-Giving could be used to think about giving something to others to celebrate Thanksgiving. The children used to accuse me of being generous of giving some of their stuff to the Indian people. I am a little guilty of that. There is a great joy in sharing clothing, a coat/jacket, flowers or a bag of apples to make someone happy.

 

Of course, the greatest gift we have to be thankful for is Jesus Christ. The Lord so loved the world that He sent His Only Begotten Son. Whosoever believeth in Him will have eternal life.

 

As I grow older, I appreciate more and more this wonderful gift and for the Lord’s influence in my life and for the blessings He gives us day by day.


We will be thinking about you as we approach the Thanksgiving Season and pray that you also will be thankful for the many gifts that we enjoy.

 

Love ya,

 

Grandpa


No comments: